The Truth Behind Trump’s Venezuela Claims: New Deep Dive
The Dramatic Claim from Mar-a-Lago
On Saturday, January 3, 2026, President Donald Trump made a stunning announcement that shook the world. In a series of posts on Truth Social and a follow-up press conference at Mar-a-Lago, he claimed a major victory. He told the nation that the U.S. military had successfully captured Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro. Trump’s Venezuela
Trump described a “brilliant operation” that took place under the cover of darkness. He stated that elite special forces, including Delta Force, plucked Maduro and his wife from a fortified fortress. Since this news broke, many people have been asking if these claims are entirely true. Our fact-check looks at the evidence behind this massive military and legal event.
Fact-Checking the Capture and Photo Evidence
President Trump shared a photo on Truth Social as proof of the capture. The image appeared to show Maduro on board the USS Iwo Jima, a U.S. Navy ship. In the photo, a man resembling Maduro wears a grey tracksuit and a blindfold. While the White House “Rapid Response” account also shared a video of a “perp walk,” independent verification is still ongoing.
However, major news outlets like the Associated Press and Al Jazeera have reported that a plane carrying Maduro landed in New York on Saturday evening. Witnesses saw a person escorted off a jet surrounded by federal agents. Therefore, the claim that Maduro is in U.S. custody appears to be factually supported.
The Claim: A “Safe and Judicious” Transition
During his press conference, Trump said the U.S. would “run the country” until a proper transition happens. He mentioned that he has a group of people ready to designate for this task. However, the legal reality on the ground in Caracas is much more complicated. While Maduro has gone, his government is still largely in place.

Vice President Delcy Rodriguez has ordered by the Supreme Tribunal of Justice to assume the presidency. She has called the capture an “illegal kidnapping” and vowed to defend the nation. Trump’s claim that the U.S. is already running the country is mostly aspirational rather than a current fact.
Fact-Checking the Link to Tren de Aragua
One of Trump’s main reasons for the attack has Maduro’s alleged link to the Tren de Aragua gang. He has often claimed that Maduro is “orchestrating” drug trafficking through this criminal group. However, U.S. intelligence agencies have previously disputed this central claim.
In late 2025, reports indicated there has no direct evidence linking Maduro’s administration to the gang’s specific operations. While the U.S. has designated the gang as a “foreign terrorist organization,” the direct tie to the presidential palace remains unproven. Trump’s rhetoric on this specific connection appears to unsupported by official intelligence data.
The Scale of “Operation Absolute Resolve”
The President described the military action as a “large-scale strike.” Fact-checking the ground reports in Venezuela confirms that Operation Absolute Resolve was indeed massive. Residents in Caracas reported hearing at least seven powerful explosions starting at 2:00 a.m. Military bases like Fuerte Tiuna and La Carlota have confirmed targets. General Dan Caine stated that more than 150 military aircraft have involved in the mission.
While Trump said only a “couple of guys” have injured on the U.S. side, the cost in Venezuela has higher. At least 40 people, including civilians and military personnel, have reportedly killed. The scale of the strike has confirmed to accurate.
The Status of Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez
Trump made a specific claim about the political situation in Caracas. He stated that Vice President Delcy Rodriguez was “just sworn in” and seemed willing to work with the U.S. This part of the story is very “mixed.” While the Supreme Tribunal did order her to take power, she has not shown a friendly face to Washington.

In her first public speech after the raid, she called the U.S. action “brutal aggression.” She also demanded the immediate release of Maduro. Therefore, Trump’s claim that she is “willing to do what we think is necessary” is not supported by her public statements.
Fact-Checking the Legality of the Raid
Many legal experts and world leaders are questioning if this operation was legal. President Trump argues that the U.S. is in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels. This is his legal basis for the strike. However, the UN Charter usually forbids the use of force against a sovereign state’s “territorial integrity.”
The Trump administration did not get a UN Security Council vote or Congressional approval before the attack. Senator Mark Warner expressed concern that this sets a dangerous precedent for global politics. While the U.S. considers it a legal law enforcement raid, much of the world sees it as a violation of international law.
The Role of U.S. Oil Companies
Trump was very open about his plans for Venezuela’s vast oil reserves. He stated that U.S. companies would be “very strongly involved” in fixing the oil industry. Currently, Venezuela has the largest proven oil reserves in the world. However, the nationalized industry is in very bad shape due to years of neglect.
Trump’s claim that the U.S. will “get the oil flowing” is a key part of his economic strategy. He believes this will help lower energy prices and pay for the cost of the operation. Whether this is possible depends on how much resistance remains in the country. This remains a developing story for 2026.
Reaction of the Venezuelan Opposition
When asked about opposition leader Maria Corina Machado, Trump was quite critical. He claimed she “doesn’t have the support or the respect within the country.” This claim is factually incorrect based on recent polling data. Machado, who recently won the Nobel Peace Prize, had a 72 percent approval rating in early 2025. Trump’s Venezuela

Most international observers believe she would have won the 2024 election if it had been fair. Trump’s move to distance himself from the traditional opposition suggests he wants a new, U.S.-led leadership instead. This highlights a “shift in strategy” for the White House in its second term. Trump’s Venezuela
A Complex Web of Facts and Claims Trump’s Venezuela
In conclusion, the “capture” of Nicolas Maduro appears to be a real and historic event. President Trump has successfully used the U.S. military to remove a long-time adversary from power. However, many of his claims about the “ease” of the transition and the “willingness” of the remaining government are not yet true. Trump’s Venezuela
The legal authority for the raid remains a major point of debate around the world. As Maduro faces trial in New York, the people of Venezuela are left with a very uncertain future. We will continue to fact-check the developments of Operation Absolute Resolve as more information arrives. Trump’s Venezuela
Read More Articles Click Here. Read Previous Articles Click Here.